[BRLTTY] Six-dot braille without contractions

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Dec 1 15:08:13 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2008/12/01 at 20:55 +0100]

>And there's a third posibility: One can use grade2 conbined with
>8-dot-braille, for example see Jaws:
>When grade2 is selected, it shows characters in 6-dot-style, while the
>word under the cursor is shown in 8-dot-computer-braile.

Yes, we could do that. Such a feature is probably more along the lines of a
preferences menu item, though, for example:

   Current Word: contracted, uncontracted, computer braille

>And BTW. we can solve the problem brought up by Mario: How to deal with
>the capitalisazion sign.

That becomes another potential three-value selector, for example:

   Capitalization: prefix character, overlayed dot, none

>Disadvantage: We would have to completely redesign our braille tables.

where do you see a need for any table redesign? I think it's simply a matter of
which table we use when.

Do we want both selectors? For each, do we really want all three values?

If we make the six-dot toggle become a three value choice, we could add yet
another preferences menu item so that the user can decide if six-dot
uncontracted braille is offered or not.