[BRLTTY] Six-dot braille without contractions

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Dec 2 03:55:17 EST 2008

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2008/12/01 at 15:51 -0500]
>
>>If German really uses 8-dot braille for contractions then that'll have to be
>>taken into account. All I know is that English doesn't.
>
> It doesn't, unless we look at using dot 7 for single letter capitalization to
> save on space without losing the indicator.

This is not realistic because begword contractions which start with a capital
letter probably are much more confusing then helpful if represented with a
dot7.  No, we could make capsing optional, I am all for that, but please no
more magic, that would be far too much away from what typical contracted
german readers would be used to.

And to round the "german uses 8dots for contraction" topic, by default,
the standard german "Kurzschrift" does not use 8-dot braille, but
the german braille stenography standard does use 8dots.  I never looked
at that and can't read it either, but its there, someone might want to write a table
for it someday.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'