[BRLTTY] Six-dot braille without contractions

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Dec 1 16:19:28 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Lee Maschmeyer on 2008/12/01 at 15:51 -0500]

>We don't need to make the maximum time for a double press configurable. That
>just adds complexity for a minuscule gain.

What timeout should we use?

>This thing bids pretty fair to
>get as complicated as Jaws. It's great if you know what you're doing and are
>a fussbudget, but most people won't know and they won't care either.

Yes, I agree. Maybe, one of these days I'll have a look at making the menu
multi-level. That should make it a bit easier to find what you're looking for
as well as easier to ignore what you don't want to care about.

>Take the status cells as an example. Yeah, it's great, but I had to work
>for - I don't know - a long time to recreate what I used to get with Status
>cell type = Alva.

Can you think of a way to make that job a little easier for the next user?

>If German really uses 8-dot braille for contractions then that'll have to be
>taken into account. All I know is that English doesn't.

It doesn't, unless we look at using dot 7 for single letter capitalization to
save on space without losing the indicator. In German, as you may know, every
single noun starts with a capital letter.