[BRLTTY] Native driver for Espeak?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Dec 6 15:54:09 EST 2008

Hermann <meinelisten at onlinehome.de> writes:

> due to lasting crashes of Speech-dispatcher when using Espeak, I want to
> ask whether it is possible to develope a native driver for Espeak and
> Brltty?
Its possible, sure, but it would also be desireable to fix the actual problem
you're having, SD crashing.

> There were several drivers for Festival Flite Viavoice etc. in Brltty,
> so why not have an additional one for espeak?

The main, and probably only reason is that SD already conveniently
provides backends for several engines like espeak, so there was no
direct need to write a native driver for espeak in BRLTTY.
Additionally, the philosophy of SD to allow shared access
to speech synthesis by several "cleints" like BRLTTY or Orca is
a desireable property.

> The main question is, however, the one how many ressources would be
> needed for this development?
As soneone who once wrote the initial code for the flite driver,
I can say it takes a few hours and a determined person.  Its not really
rocket science to write a speech driver.

> Any ideas, statements etc.?

My gut feeling still is that we should attempt to fix the actual
problem, namely speech-dispatcher crashing with espeak, instead
of writing yet another speech driver.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'