[BRLTTY] Which BrlTTY commands are the equivalent of a Tab and Shift+Tab in a GUI?

Willie Walker William.Walker at Sun.COM
Thu Dec 18 19:17:56 EST 2008

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

> WINUP and WINDN indeed sound like they would be a good candicate
> for this, especially since the command names already fit mostly.
> However, we are already short on nicely bindable commands and would
> probably like to use a few new ones for our own purposes.  So its IMHO
> argueable if it is a good idea to "waste" new commands for things that
> are
> limited to GUIs only...  It could help if you give us a nice rationale
> why
> its necessary to bind window switch to a BRLTTY command, instead of
> just using
> the keyboard.

Hmmm...you might be thinking about Alt+Tab and Shift+Alt+Tab, which are
used to switch between windows.  I'm talking strictly about Tab and
Shift+Tab, which are used to navigate between objects within a window.
So, for example, one might tab between checkboxes, pushbuttons,
sliders, text areas, etc., in a window.  The developers of many GUIs
also take care so that the tab order of things in the window (or web
page for that matter) represent the logical reading order.

The thought here is to help reduce the amount of time a user needs to
switch their hands between the braille display and the keyboard when
browsing the contents of a single window.  So, in effect, what I'm
looking for is a way to mimic Tab and Shift+Tab from the braille
display.

Thanks!

Will