[BRLTTY] Which BrlTTY commands are the equivalent of a Tab and Shift+Tab in a GUI?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Thu Dec 18 18:00:44 EST 2008

Willie Walker <William.Walker at Sun.COM> writes:

> Does anyone have any recommendations for this?  :-)

> Willie Walker wrote:
>> Hi All:
>>
>> If one is using BrlTTY in conjunction with a GUI screen reader, such as
>> Orca, what would be the most logical BrlTTY commands to bind to the Tab
>> and Shift+Tab features that move keyboard focus to the next and previous
>> focusable object in a window?

WINUP and WINDN indeed sound like they would be a good candicate
for this, especially since the command names already fit mostly.
However, we are already short on nicely bindable commands and would
probably like to use a few new ones for our own purposes.  So its IMHO
argueable if it is a good idea to "waste" new commands for things that are
limited to GUIs only...  It could help if you give us a nice rationale why
its necessary to bind window switch to a BRLTTY command, instead of just using
the keyboard.
We already have two commands for switching to previous and next console
(SWITCHVT_PREV and SWITCHVT_NEXT).  Come to think of it,
Alt+F1 doesn't work on Linux if you are on a X11 console (you have
to use Shift+Alt+F1).  It might be interesting to think about using these
console switch commands for window switching if a GUI screen reader is active
(or, in other word, have the BrlAPI client grab those commands and DTRT with
them).  This would mean that SWITCHVT_PREV and SWITCHVT_NEXT no longer switch
away from X11 but rather cycle the windows there.  Maybe that wouldn't be such a
bad thing after all.  There is SWITCHVT as well, which allows to pass
a "window" number, that might also be interesting to use but doesn't
really comply with the cycling philosophy.  It would rather allow it to jump to
a specific window number using the cursor routing keys (and some additional
display key press).

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'