[BRLTTY] delay feature request

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Dec 28 11:41:13 EST 2008

raoul megelas <rmgls at free.fr> writes:

> Hi Jason,
>
>> Jason White <jason at jasonjgw.net>
>> Raoul Migilas <rmgls at free.Fr> wrote:
>> >
>> > i noticed that all braille device have their own needs,
>> > and worth, when something changes in the OS (irq, dma or
>> > any other side effect affecting the timing), one must change
>> > the delay in the concerned driver and recompile.
>> >
>> > 	what do you feel about this?
>
>> I don't understand the problem. Which braille displays have you had this
>> problem with, and what are the effects of this issue?
>
> 1. 2 sort of devices:
> powerbraille 40, - vario 40.

Are you perhaps using the ts driver for both, or do you use the bm driver for
the vario40 in native mode?

> i use to run FreeBSD on a laptop, with limited number of irqs,
> as often on laptops.
> The problem is that the devices does not start at all because a delay question.
> So we must recompile to try another time delay!!!

Which values were/are you changing?
Do you use the latest svn code or a stable release tarball?
There have been changes to the TSI driver recently which created problems with
some devices.

> but then, a switch would be more helpful.

Ultimately, the driver should Do The Right Thing automatically, the user
shouldn't be required to fiddle with individual delay values.  If you have
problems with certain drivers and displays, you should report
those to the list.  If you also found a solution by changing the code,
you should include these changes as a patch in your report.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'