[BRLTTY] qemu/vmware/... virtual braille devices?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Thu Jan 10 09:15:01 EST 2008

Dave Mielke, le Thu 10 Jan 2008 09:07:10 -0500, a écrit :
> The best protocol would be Baum. It can return an arbittrary display size and
> brltty's autodetection for it supports this. There's nothing which forces a
> mapping to a particular display size.

What made me think that is the definitions array in the openUsbPort
function.  The problem is that the guest screen reader is not
necessarily brltty, it's possible that JAWS or WindowEyes requires the
size and the USB ID to match.  That said, the given possibilities (24,
32, 40, 64, and 80) are numerous enough so that it's not so big a
problem.  We could hence have a "size-free" mode which uses the
arbitrary display size, and a legacy mode which repects USB IDs and thus
restricts the available sizes.

> There are also enough extra keys (only used on certin models) that we
> could borrow one for use as a flag and then use the other keys as bits
> to represent an arbitrary brltty command.

Just the same: remember that the guest is not necessarily brltty, but
could be any screen reader, so the key meanings must be generic enough.
In the case of brltty, to get full support we could just use the brlapi
protocol instead.

Samuel