[BRLTTY] qemu/vmware/... virtual braille devices?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Jan 10 09:34:38 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Samuel Thibault on 2008/01/10 at 14:15 +0000]

>What made me think that is the definitions array in the openUsbPort
>function.  The problem is that the guest screen reader is not
>necessarily brltty, it's possible that JAWS or WindowEyes requires the
>size and the USB ID to match.  That said, the given possibilities (24,
>32, 40, 64, and 80) are numerous enough so that it's not so big a
>problem.  We could hence have a "size-free" mode which uses the
>arbitrary display size, and a legacy mode which repects USB IDs and thus
>restricts the available sizes.

We could always return the USB ID for the largest size <= the actual display
size. The length of the bytes written to the display could then be
appropriately padded so that as much of the display as possible is used.

>Just the same: remember that the guest is not necessarily brltty, but
>could be any screen reader, so the key meanings must be generic enough.
>In the case of brltty, to get full support we could just use the brlapi
>protocol instead.

The problem with keys is that each type of display tends to have a
fundamentally different layout so it may not be possible to map one display's
keys nicely to those of another.