[BRLTTY] Working with braille characters in console mode?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Jan 19 09:12:25 EST 2008

Hi.

Does anyone here know if it is at all possible to display
braille characters (0X2800-0X28ff) in console mode and
have brltty map them correctly to the associated dot combination?

I would be sort of happy if it just worked for brltty, if it
also worked to have the correct fonts displayed on the screen,
that would be an added benefit.

Its a real PITA to work with braille output if you
have to care about what translation table the user actually uses.
Working unicode braille characters would eliminate all the
unnecessary complexity when trying to display dot patterns.

Any hints?  Samuel, I recently saw you got some patch
regarding unicode console into linux 2.6.24, does this maybe
help in that area?

I know it works to display Unicode braille on a webpage and
visit that page with Firefox + Orca.  However, I'd like to use
such functionality in the environment I use on a daily basis, i.e.
Emacs in console mode.

--
CYa,
  Mario