[BRLTTY] Key echo in SD

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Nov 27 09:35:29 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Hermann on 2008/11/27 at 15:12 +0000]

>What Jan reports, is the very same I've reported before.

Well, then, let's try to figure it out. It'll take some help from SD people,
though, since I'm certain that brltty is doing the right things.

>Jan is a core member of the SD team, so there's no need to forward
>messages on that subject to the SD mailing list.

Then maybe he can help us figure this out. Here's what brltty does. It uses
spd_sayf() for lines, and it uses spd_char() for key echo. You can check out
the actual code by looking at the spk_say() function in
SpeechDrivers/SpeechDispatcher/speech.c. Perhaps Jan, with this knowledge, can
help us debug the problem.

>As Daniel has pointed out, you can use Brltty for braille only and add
>speech support by another screen reader, which, indeed, is a work
>around.

True, but that won't help us fix this problem. :-)