[BRLTTY] Capitalisation in contraction tables?

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Sat Nov 29 09:50:33 EST 2008

[quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2008/11/29 at 15:32 +0100]

>Should I create another alternative table that just doesn't
>define capsign,

No. Adding a new table for each possible feature combination will get messy.

>or can we maybe add a capsign toggle to the preferences menu?

A new menu toggle is fine. Should it only apply to contraction tables? Should
capitalization be automatically reenabled whenever the active table is changed?

>Another somehow related issue is the order of capsign and letsign.
>As far as I remember (hermann?), in german you are supposed to first write
>capsign followed by letsign, i.e. 46-6-1 for a capital A that is not
>a contraction.  Currently, BRLTTY does it the other way round.
>I tried to reverse the order of letsing and capsign in
>de-basis.ctb but that doesn't help.  Is there a way with the current
>ctb files to achieve this?

The current ordering is hard-coded, but that's only because we started out with
English and didn't deal with the issue at the time. If German requires it to be
the other way around then we should make it specifiable. Do you think that the
order of specification should be the way we do it? That's certainly a simple
approach.

We also have a French table for which this may be an issue. Can any French
contracted braille readers tell us which order is correct for that language?