[BRLTTY] Capitalisation in contraction tables?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sat Nov 29 13:32:47 EST 2008

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Mario Lang on 2008/11/29 at 15:32 +0100]
>
>>or can we maybe add a capsign toggle to the preferences menu?
>
> A new menu toggle is fine. Should it only apply to contraction tables?

Yes, I think so.  After all, only contraction tables have capsign, and
what we really want is to make *that* optional.

> Should capitalization be automatically reenabled whenever the active
> table is changed?

Hmm, good question.  When switching back and forth between german and
english, capitalisation could be reenabled when switching to english. But
I think that would be more confusing than helpful.  If I decide to not
want to see capsign (note that begcaps should still be used) I probably
know already what I am doing here.  And when I switch back to german,
I probably want my original setting restored, if it was changed automagically
in the first place.  Better not do that I think.

>>Another somehow related issue is the order of capsign and letsign.
>>As far as I remember (hermann?), in german you are supposed to first write
>>capsign followed by letsign, i.e. 46-6-1 for a capital A that is not
>>a contraction.  Currently, BRLTTY does it the other way round.
>>I tried to reverse the order of letsing and capsign in
>>de-basis.ctb but that doesn't help.  Is there a way with the current
>>ctb files to achieve this?
>
> The current ordering is hard-coded, but that's only because we started out
> with English and didn't deal with the issue at the time. If German
> requires it to be the other way around then we should make it
> specifiable. Do you think that the order of specification should be
> the way we do it? That's certainly a simple approach.

It would feel intuitive to me.  We'd just need to check the other tables
have the right order.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'