[BRLTTY] Capitalisation in contraction tables?

Hermann meinelisten at onlinehome.de
Sat Nov 29 10:52:03 EST 2008

On 29.11.2008 at 14:32:56 Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org> wrote:

> Hi.
>
> In german contracted braille, we usually do not use capsign except
> in tests in school because german, contrary to english, has much
> more capital words in a typical sentence.
> Currently, the german contraction table just always outputs capsigns
> as usual.  I wonder if we should somehow introduce a capsign
> mode so that the user could turn capitalisation off and on?
>
> Should I create another alternative table that just doesn't
> define capsign, or can we maybe add a capsign toggle to
> the preferences menu?

I would prefer the latter, because it tends that we German speaking
people use the most braille tables due to our complicated writing and
spelling. For spell checking it could be useful to have the appearance
of capsigns at hand by one keystroke.

> Another somehow related issue is the order of capsign and letsign.
> As far as I remember (hermann?), in german you are supposed to first write
> capsign followed by letsign, i.e. 46-6-1 for a capital A that is not
> a contraction.  Currently, BRLTTY does it the other way round.
> I tried to reverse the order of letsing and capsign in
> de-basis.ctb but that doesn't help.  Is there a way with the current
> ctb files to achieve this?

I think we should change the order the signs get displayed, although I
see this behavior only when there is one capitalized letter like "I",
but this is seldom used in German; but it would be nicer to have the
capsign first.
Hermann