[BRLTTY] braille doesn't work at all under Ubuntu 8.04.1

Labrador labrad0r at edpnet.be
Wed Sep 3 14:38:51 EDT 2008

Hi Dave:

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 12:09:36PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> >A) it doesn't autodetects my Alva Satellite 544,
>
> How is your Alva Satellite 544 connected? I'm assuming that it's via USB,

Yes, it was and is USB; why should I change something that had worked forever ?

>but are you using a simple USB cable or a serial adapter?

I ignore if Alva itself had offered me a serial-to-USB cable in the box, but
I'm using USB since that had been advised as being autodetected. Why should I try to complicate simple things that had worked until now ?

At this moment it isn't autodetected and I can't boot normally:
the one and only message at my braille-display says
"ALVA Satellite OK, Waiting for connection... "
and Ubuntu is asking me each time for pressing U for usb, S for serial, or B
for bluetooth, or X for exit.

Once started, Orca + eSpeak work, but no braille, not in Gnome nor under
console.

>Normal autodetection
> should work if you're using a simple USB cable, i.e. not an adapter,
>and if you've also told your Alva to use USB.

I haven't touched my Alva, not internally nor externally. I hope it isn't able to change itself internally :-)

See here the brltty.conf; is that correct? :

# Created by /lib/brltty/brltty.sh
braille-driver al
braille-device serial:ttyUSBttyUSB:

I have tried serial:USB: or simply USB: or ttyUSB:
Nothing And Absolutely Nothing work.

Aldo.