[BRLTTY] braille doesn't work at all under Ubuntu 8.04.1

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Sep 3 15:18:54 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Labrador on 2008/09/03 at 20:38 +0200]

>I ignore if Alva itself had offered me a serial-to-USB cable in the box,

The Alva just offers serial, USB, and Bluetooth. If you were using a serial
adapter you'd set your Alva to serial.

>but I'm using USB since that had been advised as being autodetected.

Good. That keeps it simple. Also, brltty's autodetection defaults to being done
for USB only.

>Why should I try to complicate simple things that had worked until now ?

Well ... I didn't know exactly what had worked before so I had to ask to be
sure.

>At this moment it isn't autodetected and I can't boot normally:
>the one and only message at my braille-display says
>"ALVA Satellite OK, Waiting for connection... "

That means that brltty hasn't even connected to it.

>and Ubuntu is asking me each time for pressing U for usb, S for serial, or B
>for bluetooth, or X for exit.

I assume, here, that you're entering U.

>Once started, Orca + eSpeak work, but no braille, not in Gnome nor under
>console.

That, at least, is consistent with the other things you're reporting.

>I haven't touched my Alva, not internally nor externally. I hope it isn't able
>to change itself internally :-)

No, it wouldn't change the communication channel on its own.

>See here the brltty.conf; is that correct? :
>
># Created by /lib/brltty/brltty.sh
>braille-driver al
>braille-device serial:ttyUSBttyUSB:

The braille-device operand is bad. Maybe Ubuntu's /lib/brltty/brltty.sh needs
fixing. That line should be as follows:

   braille-device usb:

Also, since braille-driver is being set to al, it won't autodetect, i.e. it'll
assume Alva (which is okay in your case). Perhaps that's because you're telling
Ubuntu that you have an Alva.

>I have tried serial:USB: or simply USB: or ttyUSB:
>Nothing And Absolutely Nothing work.

You'll note above that I worte usb: in lowercase. While the device qualifier
isn't case sensitive these days, it's possible that it used to be. Please try
specifying usb: in lowercase to see if that works.