[BRLTTY] braille doesn't work at all under Ubuntu 8.04.1

Labrador labrad0r at edpnet.be
Wed Sep 3 16:41:02 EDT 2008

Hi Dave,

On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 03:18:54PM -0400, Dave Mielke wrote:
> The braille-device operand is bad. Maybe Ubuntu's /lib/brltty/brltty.sh needs
> fixing. That line should be as follows:
>
>    braille-device usb:

OK, this is what I tested:

becoming su then
brltty -b al -d usb:
(not USB:)

IT WORX!

But when I put "usb:" asis without quotes in brltty.conf, Ubuntu still asks
me for pressing S / U / B / X while booting up, hm a very annoying problem
for a blind person.

But now brltty works again, even under Orca.

> Also, since braille-driver is being set to al, it won't autodetect, i.e.
>it'll
> assume Alva (which is okay in your case).

Yes, that's perfect except the question Ubuntu repeats at each reboot...

> You'll note above that I worte usb: in lowercase. While the device
>qualifier
> isn't case sensitive these days, it's possible that it used to be. Please
>try
> specifying usb: in lowercase to see if that works.

Yes, I confirm.

Now I only have to resolve 2 problems:
puting another translation table in my config, no one line about it...
and the persistent question at boot time...

Thanx very much.

Aldo.