[BRLTTY] mysterious... Fup: Re: braille doesn't work at all under Ubuntu 8.04.1

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Thu Sep 4 09:05:37 EDT 2008

[quoted lines by Labrador on 2008/09/04 at 14:30 +0200]

>But here is the brltty.conf.orig I see in /etc:
>
># Created by /lib/brltty/brltty.sh
>braille-driver al
>braille-device serial:ttyUSBx
>
>I suppose the problem is there,

Yes. The device qualifier is serial:, which tells brltty to use serial I/O. The
device is ttyUSBx (was it x or 0). That's specifying a device which would be
used were you using a USB-serial adapter. So I'd say that Ubuntu's
understanding of what USB means is incorrect. Perhaps it should be offering two
options, i.e. one for direct USB and one for using a USB-serial adapter.

>but I still can't understand what dropped that absurd content into the .orig
>brltty.conf?

The first line says "Created by /lib/brltty/brltty.sh", so the answer to your
question is the Ubuntu script "/lib/brltty/brltty.sh".

>Maybe I must purge then reinstall brltty, hoping it will ask me again for
>entering the display type and device:

No, don't go through all the trouble of trying that. It isn't brltty which is
causing your problem. It's the Ubuntu configuration script
"/lib/brltty/brltty.sh".

--
Dave Mielke           | 2213 Fox Crescent | The Bible is the Word of God.
Phone: 1-613-726-0014 | Ottawa, Ontario   | May 21, 2011, is Judgement Day.