[BRLTTY] Shouldn't system requirements be in top-level directory?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Fri Sep 5 09:47:21 EDT 2008

Hi all,

Recently I decided to build my own brltty from svn on Ubuntu. (I was
ultimately successful.)

This is the first time I've done this on a system based on a single CD;
always before I've used the Red Hat/Fedora systems that come on (the
equivalent of) 4 or 5 CDs and provide a complete build environment if you
install everything which I always have.

It was easy enough to figure out I needed to install subversion <grin> and
tcl, especially with the hints provided by Ubuntu when you try to execute an
unknown command. But when I reached the point where ./configure failed
because "The C compiler cannot produce object programs" (possibly
paraphrased) I was stumped.

So I figured that rather than just trying commands, what I ought to do was
look up the system requirements.

But they were far too difficult to find. Fortunately the pre-installed
version included the manual (though in a non-standard location:
/usr/share/doc/brltty/English I think) and I found the requirements buried
deep in there, but I think they need to be put into some kind of install
file in the top-level directory, either at the beginning of README or
somewhere equally obvious and accessible.

(The problem turned out to be that g++ wasn't installed if I remember
correctly.)

Just an idea...

--

Lee Maschmeyer