[BRLTTY] TR: tracing the problems in Ubuntu with brltt

Labrador labrad0r at edpnet.be
Tue Sep 9 08:16:36 EDT 2008

Hi Cheryl,

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 02:07:12AM -0500, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> Aldo:
> Did you edit /etc/default/brltty? Not to be a nag but you don't mention
> it.

Well, you're right, I didn't edited that file.
The reason is:
RUN_BRLTTY=yes

But it doesn't have any effect!

> Also, it makes  sense that you wouldn't get braille until you've
> edited the brltty.conf. And yes, it is the template before you do your
> editing of brltty.conf; Ubuntu (at least this version) does not edit it
> for you or run a script and ask you questions and then do a configuration;
> you have to edit the brltty.conf by hand as far as I know.

I did that, cf. my attached brltty.conf in a previous message, with
uncommented driver al, usb: device and de table.

But it didn't had any effect!

>Have you tried
> doing ctrl-alt-f1 to go to a console, log in, and start brltty to see if
> it runs with the editing you did to /etc/brltty.conf?

I just tried, cf. typescript in attach for a feedback.
The result is that braille *still* doesn't run.

I feel that the best thing I do is probably to reinstall Ubuntu;
but at this point I'm not sure about what to do exactly: no matter which
suggestion I follow, it doesn't work.
Maybe its better to get back to Gutsy since that was working fine except for
the brltty text-table? But why publishing a Hardy if you have to return to a
previous distro ?

Aldo.