[BRLTTY] Ubuntu: Some possible insights

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu Sep 11 14:00:59 EDT 2008

Cheryl wrote:

>The braille display bouncing around is what my braillelite is doing, but
>what would be causing multiple instances of brltty?

I wasn't there... :-) Does `killall brltty' fix it?

Brltty has a -P option that stores its PID in the location you specify. I
wonder if this could be made the default? Just starting brltty by hand does
not set this option. While there are times one might want multiple
instances, I'd think this would be much rarer than wanting just one. If
brltty were made to check a well-known location and refuse to start if the
file already exists, would this be a bad thing? Then the command line switch
could be made to mean "start anyway." It already destroys the PID file even
if it wasn't started using one.

>Since I used f5 and then 3 in the install, I would think I used screen
>reader rather than braille terminal; also I had a full copy of the
>brltty.conf.

And you didn't get the prompt at boot time.

>I also tried installing the svn revision (3925); my problem was that when
>I uninstalled the ubuntu brltty, brltty-x11 also uninstalled. I put the
>startup for brltty in /etc/init.d/rcS and put 'RUNBRLTTY=no' in
>/etc/default/brltty so that ubuntu's brltty in init.d wouldn't start.
>Unfortunately, brltty would start on my system but not in Orca, so I've
>gone back to the ubuntu version until I figure this out.

The way I did it was: Copy /sbin/brltty to /bin, make sure it works, change
/etc/init.d/brltty to point to /bin, make sure that works, remove
/sbin/brltty and reset the hash, make sure it works, install 3925.

Neither Orca nor brltty in it has ever worked for me so as far as I know I
didn't lunch anything. Some year or other I'll get around to Orca. I lurk on
the Orca list and maybe somebody will tell me how, or I'll discover the
crucial piece of documentation.

--

Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University