[BRLTTY] Screen reader for mac

james collins james.collins75 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 13:56:41 EDT 2009

i primarily want to use brltty in my terminal application on my mac. i
don't need speech for applications on my mac, when you say
applications do you mean like itunes? i really don't want to have
speech other than in terminal. i really wanted to use my doubletalk, i
did buy a usb to serial adaptor cable, are you telling me that brllty
wouldn't work with my doubletalk? i couldn't get yasr to work with my
doubletalk, yet. Some things i would like to do are to get my computer
to speak spanish, like i would give an ls command and my doubletalk
would say file and folder names in spanish. i did read on
documentation that i got with the doubletalk that you can actually
program the synthesizer tone generators, i like music and programming
and i thought it would be neat to try and create tones. I figure
before i can do any of these advanced tasks (atleast to me they are
advanced) i need to be able to get my doubletalk working with my
computer.

at had written that i have yasr. i just wanted to explain a little
about that. i installed yasr on my computer and installation seemed to
go well. i edited the configuration file yasr.conf. i commented out
certain things like the speech synthesizer, i am using a doubletalk so
where it said the list of synthesizers, i uncommented the doubletalk
and commented all the other synthesizer options. i then chose s0 as my
serial port. you said that you don't think my doubletalk will work
with a speech program using usb-serial, i am wondering why? like i
called the company that made my usb to serial port adaptor, like one
thing they mentioned was a driver, but i don't think i need one.
another person told me about the communication parameters like i think
my speech synthesizer is 9600 baud 8 n 1, and i wondered do i have to
set this on my computer. i think i was told that the screen reader
program took care of this for me. like the yasr program would take
care of the communication parameters, but i am not sure. any help
would be appreciated.