[BRLTTY] brltty does not support Baum Conny mini braille display

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 21 08:22:07 EDT 2009

[quoted lines by Ümit Kirayit on 2009/08/21 at 10:53 +0000]

>I installed brltty (on the Debian partition) for my workmate, who is blind, in
>the hope that he would be able to use his mini braille display Baum Conny over
>Bluetooth.

Which release of brltty has been installed. If you're not sure, run brltty with
its -V (uppercase) option.

>I changed some lines of the config file in /etc/...  brltty.conf and added the
>Bluetooth Adress of the device. There isn't a problem with the bluetooth
>connection i think because everytime when i try to connect the mini braille
>display over Bluetooth, it starts to make strange sounds, but the commands
>which i type in the console are not displayed on the braille display.

Please describe the changes you made, and, if possible, post a copy of the
actual brltty.conf. This list accepts attachments.

>Do i have to add something else to the config file?

Let's first see what the current file looks like.

>Does brltty not support the mentioned mini braille display (Baum Conny
51005261)?

Yes, brltty does support the MiniBraille. I'm not sure if the specific model
needs any specialized support or not.

>I need this application as soon as possible, so can anyone help me to build up
>a driver for this device?

Let's first see why the current driver doesn't appear to be working. I rather
doubt that a whole new driver will be necessary.