[BRLTTY] How about a Reflow function?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Tue Jan 6 15:28:11 EST 2009

Hi gang,

I've been thinking of this exclusively as a grade 2 function, having no
effect in computer braille:

I'd like to see a new function: the ability to reflow lines to get maximum
display occupancy. Just like the reflow function in editors, the idea here
is to put words from the beginning of the next line onto the end of this
one. "Words" is defined as white-space-separated entities. One space would
be inserted at the end of each print line so the words end up looking like a
regular sentence.

A paragraph break would interrupt the reflow function, causing a new braille
string. Such a new string would start in cell 2 (configurable if people
scream); all others would start in cell 1. A paragraph break would be
defined as a blank line on the screen.

This idea would end the constant short lines when reading grade 2 text and
make things much more pleasant. I'm using a note taker (PAC Mate) that has
this functionality and it's really cool.

We could use the window up or down key to toggle this function. And now that
we have the ktb capability the toggle wouldn't even need to be on the
display itself (though keypad commands can't be used on Cygwin at the
moment).

What do people think?

--

Lee Maschmeyer