[BRLTTY] about descchar binding

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Sat Jan 31 07:18:47 EST 2009

Hello,

Dave Mielke, le Sat 31 Jan 2009 03:02:24 -0500, a écrit :
> [quoted lines by 高生旺 on 2009/01/31 at 15:52 +0800]
>
> >For Chinese, may I add more information to descchar?
>
> Right now we use the description associated with the character as supplied by
> the Unicode database. It seems to be rather generic for the ideographic
> characters, and, therefore, doesn't seem to be very helpful. For the benefit of
> other readers, the Unicode character 9000, for example, has, for its
> description, the rather useless phrase "CJK UNIFIED IDEDOGRAPH-9000".
>
> Does each of those characters have a specific meaning, or can a character have
> one meaning in one language and another meaning in another language?
>
> Do you have a list of what each of those characters actually means?

That list already exists: there is a more descriptive field in Unicode,
for instance for U+9000 it says:

`Definition in English: step back, retreat, withdraw
Mandarin Pronunciation: TUI4
Cantonese Pronunciation: teoi3
Japanese On Pronunciation: TAI TON
Japanese Kun Pronunciation: SHIRIZOKU SHIRIZOKERU
Tang Pronunciation: *tuə̀i
Korean Pronunciation: THOY'

Samuel