[BRLTTY] serial port problem?

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Wed Jun 17 08:20:01 EDT 2009

Hideyuki Hayashi <taro.hayashi at nifty.ne.jp> writes:

>   I'm trying to newly install Debian into my laptop pc.
> It was successful to install it with BRLTTY,
> brltty=al,/dev/ttyS0,en_US, but after installation BRLTTY does not
> work when the pc boot up from its hard disk...
>
>   "brltty -e -l 7 -b al -d /dev/ttyS0" shows connection to ttyS0
> causes timeout.

Can you provide us with the full log of that startup attempt?

# brltty -b al -d serial:/dev/ttyS0 -n -e -l 7 2>/tmp/log

and send the resulting file?

>   Is this caused by any serial port settings?

It should not.  BRLTTY does serial port initialisation depending on what
driver you selected, so it should not be necessary to use setserial
before running brltty, except you have a non-standard serial port
controller like those multiport beasts which might need, as you already
guessed, IRQ and port base adjustments.  But since d-i managed to detect
your serial port, I doubt that.

> Does anyone have any ideas?

Maybe after seeing the exact errror message.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'