[BRLTTY] Survey: Does anyone use Baum displays in HandyTech or PowerBraille emulation mode?

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Jun 28 20:05:41 EDT 2009

Mario Lang <mlang at delysid.org> wrote:

> Older Baum displays (I am not sure if newer models still do this) used
> to have several protocols for easier compatibility with existing
> software.
> This used to be conventient if software support for the native baum
> protocol was missing.  I am wondering if anyone is these days still
> using
> a Baum display in anything other than its native Baum protocol mode.

I always use the Baum protocol, and when I last tested the others as
implemented in the BRLTTY Baum driver, they didn't work reliably anyway. This
was only for purposes of testing changes to the driver; I had (and still have)
no intention of using those protocols.

My dislplay is the Baum SuperVario, still a current model, and it supports
Telesensory and Handytech emulation.
> I am guessing no, since most screen readers do have native baum protocol
> support these days, and some of the key mappings must actually be pretty
> weird since the typical 6-key Baum display has less keys than any of the
> displays it emulates protocolwise.

Correct.