[BRLTTY] Patch: UEB grade2 "cc" contraction

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Tue Mar 10 09:27:37 EDT 2009

Daniel asked why the hesitation in following the BrailleNote convention for
UEB.

The answer is simple: One stupid computer program is just like another
stupid computer program: stupid. They're only as good as the authors make
them, and authors make mistakes. Often I point out contraction errors on
other lists, and someone comes back with "Duxbury does it..." Then I have to
show by my collection of US Web-Braille books that Duxbury does it wrong
just like anybody else can. I've never bought Duxbury because it seems to
make just as many mistakes as, say, Turbo Braille (especially the DOS
version; the Linux version has more bugs). So, all computer programs must be
regarded with utmost suspicion. Unfortunately, that's all we have to go on
for UEB thus far.

As to why an Australian wouldn't adopt UEB: Most blind people do such a
terrible job of braille translation it wouldn't be noticed.

Have fun,

--

Lee Maschmeyer
Wayne State University