[BRLTTY] Patch: UEB grade2 "cc" contraction

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Mar 9 20:40:26 EDT 2009

Daniel Dalton <d.dalton at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> Why not? Surely they would have consulted the UEB rules documentation
> when implementing this braille code on the device?

They would have consulted it, but that's not the same as implementing it
correctly - people make mistakes sometimes, especially if they did it by
modifying pre-existing rules for English Grade II braille.

> > http://www.iceb.org/ueb.html
>
> Thanks, unfortunately I don't have a lot of time to go through this
> although took a quick glance... So I guess it's up to Dave: rely on the
> info I've provided or others can provide, and commit, or leave it until
> I or someone else has time to read through the braille rules!

Someone does need to check those rules, I think.

> > I don't use UEBC, so I can't help any further.
>
> Jason, didn't Australia adopt this as our nashinal code though? How are
> you keeping up to date with braille books and other braille material you
> may receive? Surely this would be an important code for a blind
> Australian resident to know?

I don't receive any books from braille-producing organizations at the moment,
Australian or otherwise. When was the last time I read a book or article in
braille that I didn't produce myself from an electronic file? I can't
remember...

I read all of the UEBC reports when they were issued, but I don't like the
code, I opposed its adoption, and since I'm responsible for the translation of
most of the braille I read, I'm really not affected by it.

Abraham Nemeth has just published a new code, NUBS, which covers "literary"
braille, mathematics and computer notation in a single, uniform system. It's
especially good for mathematics, and it would be wonderful if BRLTTY could
implement relevant parts of it. (I wish I had time to work on it.)

Details are here:
http://www.braille2000.com/brl2000/nubs2.htm

This avoids a lot of the unnecessary verbosity of UEBC; it doesn't involve any
deletion of Grade II contractions; it provides a very elegant notation for
mathematics, similar to the 1972 Nemeth code, and it represents the print
notation unambiguously.