[BRLTTY] unaccessible apps with brltty

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Tue Mar 17 13:58:35 EDT 2009

Dave Mielke <dave at mielke.cc> writes:

> [quoted lines by Hermann on 2009/03/17 at 16:13 +0100]
>
>>during the last days I often had to use programs like alsamixer or the
>>interface of aumix.
>>I had to realize that those programs are hardly accessible with Brltty,
>>so I have to switch to SBL in ordr to adjust my Alsa settings.
>>Those programs use an attribute cursor, which is not recognized by
>>Brltty.
>>Another example is the Midnight Commander (mc).
>>So what can a brltty user do to access these apps? Are there plans to
>>extend brltty's features so that one can set attribute cursor settings?
>
> How do screen readers which support attribute cursors know which attribute
> combination is being used as the cursor? That can be different for each
> application.

They usually do it by defining the various attribute combinations in
so called "profiles" and either switch profiles automatically based on the
current screen content, or offer the user a way to
switch between "profiles" on demand.  Its really no rocket science.

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'