[BRLTTY] Attribute cursor.

Nicolas Pitre nico at cam.org
Tue Mar 17 15:44:20 EDT 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Samuel Thibault wrote:

> Lee Maschmeyer, le Tue 17 Mar 2009 14:49:52 -0400, a écrit :
> > Note that one profile per program is the way Windows screen readers work,
> > and Windows is a vastly more complicated environment than the Unix console.
>
> I wouldn't say so.  The unix console has a vast amount of various tools
> for which you'd have to write a profile.

Furthermore, as soon as you lack a profile for some application, then
you're out of luck and have to resort to manual searching for the
cursor.

Last time I wandered in the Windows world, those screen readers had
profiles only for a few applications.  I say "few" here because there
are simply too many applications for them all to have a profile. So,
while Office and IE were rather well supported, this wasn't the case for
less mainline applications.
 And of course as soon as you customize your toolbar or other widgets
(or colors and/or screen layout in this case) then the profile doesn't
work anymore until you also tweak the profile and maintain those changes
separately.

This is why I think having good heuristics to get away without any
profile is a better solution.  It might be more difficult to implement
than a simple profile based solution of course, but overall results
should be better.

Nicolas