[BRLTTY] Results of testing with Baum driver status field patch

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Sun Mar 22 23:15:55 EDT 2009

Hello Dave (and everyone else on the list with an interest in this issue)

Here are my test findings.

1. With Dave's patch applied, the INKA and its status cells operate correctly,
with appropriate options appearing in the preferences menu.

2. The same is true for the Brailliant 40 uwith the Baum protocol enabled.

3. With the HandyTech protocol, the results are equally bad with or without
the patch: the last 4 or 5 cells in the braille window are blank, and after
moving to the next window, the first 4 or 5 cells are also blank (even though
there is text that should be present in both cases).

4. The PowerBraille protocol 1 is hard to test because the display keys don't
navigate normally, i.e., there is a difference in the assignment of functions
to key combinations that makes it hard to navigate around the terminal. I'm
not sure whether this is supposed to happen... I suspect not.

I haven't looked at the other PowerBraille protocol yet, as the protocols
other than Baum clearly have their anomalies (or should I say "bugs"?).

Again, Dave's patch didn't worsen the situation with the PowerBraille
protocol.

testing was done with the university's Brailliant 40, with 2004 firmware. I
can test with mine when it has been serviced.

I hope this helps.