[BRLTTY] Enabling braille on the live CD for non-USB displays.

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Fri Nov 27 01:47:42 EST 2009

Luke Yelavich <themuso at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> The only question is, how do we prompt the user, and where abouts in the
> boot process, bearing in mind that: 1) BrlTTY runs as a system level daemon.
> 2) Any prompting will likely have to be done with speech, either in a GUI,
> or from a script written to speak every action a user chooses.

It should be as early in the boot process as is reasonable, I would suggest,
so that the user can read any error messages that might occur later on. I know
this is only for a live CD, but nevertheless, having access to any errors that
can occur is still valuable.

Thus I would say, as soon as the prerequisites are loaded, or at least, prior
to any parts of the boot process that tend to result in errors in the case of
hardware compatibility or other issues.

Also, you should make sure that the exact key sequences necessary to specify
BRLTTY options are documented somewhere, so that a person who is deaf-blind
and therefore unable to listen to speech output still has a chance to gain
access.