[BRLTTY] make drivers a library?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Tue Sep 22 08:58:10 EDT 2009

Hello,

Yet another person on the NVDA list wanted to re-implement a driver for
some braille device because he doesn't want to have to run both brltty
and nvda at the same time.

Of course, it's a better thing to use the brlapi facility as this
permits to run several readers, dedicated applications, etc. but for
the casual user this seems superfluous considering the difficulty of
installing both brltty and nvda (yes, I believe we got to a very simple
way to achieve that, but two applications is still too much for casual
users).

As a result, I yet more and more believe that brltty should export its
drivers through a library too, even with an simple interface similar
to libbrlapi/libbraille.  Else I fear dispersion of hardware support
efforts.

What do people think?

Samuel