[BRLTTY] sys_linux.c:enableBeeps()

Mario Lang mlang at delysid.org
Sun Sep 27 07:09:26 EDT 2009

Hi.

enableBeeps() instructs modprobe to load the "pcspkr" module.
I just found out that there are at least 2 kernel modules
that provide beeper support, that is pcspkr, which only
provides simple beeps, and snd-pcsp which provides the simple
beeps + an ALSA PCM sound device.

If BRLTTY hardcodes pcspkr, snd-pcsp can no longer be loaded since that
conflicts with the already loaded pcspkr module.

It is possible to do rmmod pcspkr followed by modprobe snd-pcsp.
However, I am inclined to think that it would be better if BRLTTY
wouldn't force its decision on which module to load on the user.

Any comments?

--
CYa,
  ⡍⠁⠗⠊⠕ | Debian Developer <URL:http://debian.org/>
  .''`. | Get my public key via finger mlang/key at db.debian.org
 : :' : | 1024D/7FC1A0854909BCCDBE6C102DDFFC022A6B113E44
 `. `'