[BRLTTY] introduction and a problem

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 6 10:23:57 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by lutz kaiser on 2010/08/06 at 11:08 +0200]

>i found  a better way:
>some seconds after starting brltty
>echo \002\033b >/dev/ttyUSB0

I now understand what's going on. It's a problem we're actually familiar with
whenever a device is connected via USB. Since the CombiBraille uses serial I/O,
I didn't recognize what was going on until I realized that you're using a USB
to serial adapter.

As part of USB communications, there's what amounts to a flag which is commonly
called the endpoint data toggle. It has to be in the same state on both the
host and the device else data isn't transferred. For reasons that I don't
understand, whenever we open a USB device on Linux there's a seemingly high
probability (perhaps 50%) that the data toggle is out of sync. All of our
drivers which support direct USB I/O silently hide this problem by trying up to
three times to get a response from the device. I guess there's also a risk of
this problem occurring for serial devices if a USB to serial adapter is being
used.

Am I correct in understanding that this problem didn't used to happen to you?
Can you remember what change in your system or way of doing things caused it to
start happening? Is it, perhaps, that you used to use a direct serial
connection, and that the problem started occurring when you started to use the
adapter?