[BRLTTY] I can't build brltty

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL mengualjeanphi at free.fr
Tue Aug 10 20:59:28 EDT 2010

Hi Dave,

No problem for me to explain to you. In fact I have a friend who needs
Seika braille display driver. This driver only was introduced on brltty
4.1. The problem is that on most livecd (Debian installer, LFS
livecd...) useful for troubleshoting, brltty 3.10 or older is included.
So he needs brltty 4.1 in static mode so that he could start CD, mount a
USB stick (without seeing the screen but...), then run brltty on it in
any context. So far I only know ubuntu with brltty 4.1, but not great
for all computers. That's why I'd like to give it a static release, to
run on any livecd where brltty is too old for his braille display.

It can be useful too for me too because brltty 3.10 doesn't work
properly with Clio Eurobraille braille displays. So I could need such
release of brltty (but in my case it's less problematic as for
thrubleshoting I use console, so brltty 3.8 included on LFS livecd
suites perfectly).

Those are explanations. :) I think I'll try to generate static release
in another environent (lfs livecd or another livecd from a virtual
machine...). But I thinn it's maybe useful to solve the problem too, but
don't want to ask anywhere and anybody and disturb a lot of people who
can't answer ... So I ask her to be oriented then...

Regards,

Jean-Philippe MENGUAL