[BRLTTY] I can't build brltty

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue Aug 10 21:09:24 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Jean-Philippe MENGUAL on 2010/08/11 at 02:59 +0200]

>No problem for me to explain to you. In fact I have a friend who needs
>Seika braille display driver. This driver only was introduced on brltty
>4.1. The problem is that on most livecd (Debian installer, LFS
>livecd...) useful for troubleshoting, brltty 3.10 or older is included.
>So he needs brltty 4.1 in static mode so that he could start CD, mount a
>USB stick (without seeing the screen but...), then run brltty on it in
>any context. So far I only know ubuntu with brltty 4.1, but not great
>for all computers. That's why I'd like to give it a static release, to
>run on any livecd where brltty is too old for his braille display.

There are other possibilities. The best one, I think, would be to do a normal
build but with the --enable-relocatable-isntall configure option. Then, when
you run brltty from the USB stick, all references to files will be relative to
that executable.