[BRLTTY] New braille tables try

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri Aug 13 11:41:11 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Jean-Philippe MENGUAL on 2010/08/13 at 16:47 +0200]

>I had not tried because generally, I try first to have such combinations
>worked on tty before trying on X.

Even if it works on a tty, you still need to tell X about it with xmodmap. The
two don't use the same mapping mechanism.

>But as you suggested, I tried, and I'm
>surprised. In an UTF-8 environment (e.g. Evolution, but also OOo 3.2 as
>I've just seen (I thought it was ISO)), I get → ← respectively for U2192
>and U2190.

So it now works. That's good.

>In an ISO-8859-15 environment (gnome-terminal, weechat-curses
>with gnome-terminal), the combination produces -> and <-

That's because, now that you've defined them with xmodmap, X knows what the
characters are, but they can't actually be displayed in ISO-8859-15 so textual
equivalents are being used.

>And in pure tty, nothing happens.

As long as your tty is using UTF-8, and as long as your text table defines the
characters, I'm sure they're being entered when you type them. The problem,
however, is that ISO-8859-15 can't display them. Basic tty support, unlike X,
doesn't use a textual equivalent when the character set being used doesn't
define a character.