[BRLTTY] feature rquest: language switching for the devices that support braille input.

Sergei V. Fleytin fleytin at yandex.ru
Sun Jan 10 23:47:35 EST 2010

Hi!

Just a suggestion which developers may consider in future.

For those of us for whom english is not a native language using
several keyboard layouts is a common practice. I think that drivers
for the braille displays which have braille input keys it is very
important to be able to detect the current state of the layout for the
current console and behave accordingly. Now, by default, brltty
provides input according to currently loaded braille table. That is,
if I have russian braille table and press dot 1, the small cyrillic
letter 'a' will be typed. But if I want a small english letter 'a', I
should type it together with dot 8. It is not a big problem when
typing just a couple of letters, but when working with texts where one
has to type long portions of texts in several languages it becomes
prettyy annoying if one wants to use braille input.

So I hope that I expressed the problems clearly enough and perhaps we
will be able to find some solutions for it in future.

Thanks,

Sergei.