[BRLTTY] feature rquest: language switching for the devices that support braille input.

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon Jan 11 02:06:51 EST 2010

[quoted lines by Sergei V. Fleytin on 2010/01/11 at 07:47 +0300]

>For those of us for whom english is not a native language using
>several keyboard layouts is a common practice. I think that drivers
>for the braille displays which have braille input keys it is very
>important to be able to detect the current state of the layout for the
>current console and behave accordingly. Now, by default, brltty
>provides input according to currently loaded braille table. That is,
>if I have russian braille table and press dot 1, the small cyrillic
>letter 'a' will be typed. But if I want a small english letter 'a', I
>should type it together with dot 8. It is not a big problem when
>typing just a couple of letters, but when working with texts where one
>has to type long portions of texts in several languages it becomes
>prettyy annoying if one wants to use braille input.

The currently loaded text table can be switched via the preferences menu.
Switching the text table, of course, would change both input and output. Is
this okay?

I realize that changing the text table is rather tedious right now because of
the number of text tables which one can choose from. One possibility would be
to allow the -t command line option (or the text-table configuration file
directive) to accept a comma-delimited list of text table names, in which case
brltty could only offer those for selection.