[BRLTTY] Notes about the problem with doubled and trebled letters

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Tue May 4 00:11:42 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Sebastian Humenda on 2010/05/02 at 14:05 +0200]

>>How did you turn off speech? Did you do it by telling brltty to use the "no"
>>speech driver?
>I used the key stroke to turn off autospeak. Does that mean any difference?
>Brltty doesn't speak at all.

That should be okay too, yes.

>Here, in an "extreme" case, during gnome was loading the configuration at
>start up:
>13:52:25 up 0 min,  2 users,  load average: 1.75, 0.44, 0.15
>and now 5 min later:
>13:57:17 up 5 min,  5 users,  load average: 0.10, 0.28, 0.16

That looks okay too.

>This is a quite clear situation. I will continue testing, but I had this also
>while working in vim, and nothing other *foreground process* running.

Well, it's not only the foreground that counts. Brltty itself runs in the
background and is seen by the system as such. What's running in the background
makes just as much difference.

>>renice -20 ?
>No, +20 which is in fact incorrect, just read the man page :-). I'll give this a
>additional test.

:-) +20 may well make the problem way worse.

I think I'll probably be looking into running the keyboard monitor as a
separate thread at a high priority just so that it stands on its own, with its
own properties, and can never be blocked by other tasks brltty needs to
perform. I don't want to do this until after 4.2 is out, though, as, at this
point, I don't want to risk brltty's stability in any way.