[BRLTTY] Emailing: debug.log

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Fri May 21 12:28:41 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Moty Azrad on 2010/05/20 at 09:12 +0300]

>You had released  brltty 4.2-1 for windows so it must work with it.

We don't have direct access to setups which involve all possible combinations
of braille devices, OS platforms, etc. We rely rather heavily on users trying
out new versions of brltty just before they're formally released, which is why
we announce each upcoming release a couple of weeks ahead of time.

>I don't have any explanation why version 4.1-2 works with my Baum braille
>display well and the braille display key 5 is scrolling the braille line and
>it ides not work with version 4.2-1.

This problem indeed seems somewhat odd. The big change between the two releases
insofar as Baum displays are concerned is the switch to using external key
tables rather than internal hard-coding to define which keys perform what
functions. While these mappings should still all be the same, it's possible,
for example, that flags such as those used to manage the autorepeat feature are
being set somewhat differently.

Are you familiar with brltty's Command Learn Mode? You can activate it by
pressing display keys 1456, and deactivate it by pressing this same combination
again. It also times out if you don't press any key(s) for 10 seconds. While
you're in Command Learn Mode, each time you press a key combination the braille
display will tell you what that combination does.

Could you please use Command Learn Mode to let us know what function the
problematic key is mapped to?

Could you also please give as much detail as possible regarding how the
problematic key works and how you expect it to work?

Is it possible that you've installed brltty-4.2 into a new location which isn't
using the preferences file saved by brltty-4.1? If so, it's possible that the
change in behaviour you're observing is due a 4.2 default preference setting
which you customized when using 4.1.