[BRLTTY] implementing brlapi?

Samuel Thibault samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org
Mon Oct 18 17:48:37 EDT 2010

Hello,

Alex Hall, le Mon 18 Oct 2010 08:58:30 -0400, a écrit :
> 1. BrlAPI can be implemented in a program to output to a braille
> display without BrlTTY being present?

Well, yes, but there still needs to be a driver behind a brlapi server
to be able to driver the actual braille display. BrlTTY is a good choice
to avoid reimplementing it, since you can at worse disable its screen
reading facility.

> 2. Even if BrlTTY has to be there, is there a simple code example of
> using it to output text or characters, and of getting braille input
> keys?

Sure, there's a code snippet in pydoc brlapi.

> 3. Will BrlAPI work over a bluetooth connection?

BrlAPI is independant from how the device is actually connected, that's
the matter of the driver behind the BrlAPI server.

> 4. Just how is BrlAPI tied into BrlTTY? Does one depend on the other?

They're quite coupled as they need to interact to display braille, get
keys, etc.  But they don't really depend one on each other: you can
disable BrlAPI at BrlTTY build time or run time, and the brlapi server
and client code is in separate files, which we plan to move to a library
when we get some time, to make it usable in other contexts.

> I will be using Win7x64 and, hopefully, Python. Thanks in advance!

Then install the python bindings for brlapi and read pydoc brlapi.

Samuel