[BRLTTY] implementing brlapi?

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 18:05:45 EDT 2010

On 10/18/10, Samuel Thibault <samuel.thibault at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Alex Hall, le Mon 18 Oct 2010 08:58:30 -0400, a écrit :
>> 1. BrlAPI can be implemented in a program to output to a braille
>> display without BrlTTY being present?
>
> Well, yes, but there still needs to be a driver behind a brlapi server
> to be able to driver the actual braille display. BrlTTY is a good choice
> to avoid reimplementing it, since you can at worse disable its screen
> reading facility.
>
>> 2. Even if BrlTTY has to be there, is there a simple code example of
>> using it to output text or characters, and of getting braille input
>> keys?
>
> Sure, there's a code snippet in pydoc brlapi.
Hmm... I am relatively new to Python and have not found this pydoc.
Google found nothing helpful, and I see no brlapi, brltty, or pydoc in
python26\lib\site-packages. There is just a .pyd file in
brltty\python26\lib\site-packages, no documentation. I have a feeling
I am missing something basic, but I am not sure what; the manuals I
find in the doc folder have nothing about python, and the one
"library" Google turned up was a few lines that did not seem to do
anything (though I could be wrong).

>> 3. Will BrlAPI work over a bluetooth connection?
>
> BrlAPI is independant from how the device is actually connected, that's
> the matter of the driver behind the BrlAPI server.
>
>> 4. Just how is BrlAPI tied into BrlTTY? Does one depend on the other?
>
> They're quite coupled as they need to interact to display braille, get
> keys, etc.  But they don't really depend one on each other: you can
> disable BrlAPI at BrlTTY build time or run time, and the brlapi server
> and client code is in separate files, which we plan to move to a library
> when we get some time, to make it usable in other contexts.
>
>> I will be using Win7x64 and, hopefully, Python. Thanks in advance!
>
> Then install the python bindings for brlapi and read pydoc brlapi.
>
> Samuel

Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)
mehgcap at gmail.com; http://www.facebook.com/mehgcap