[BRLTTY] Absolute basics

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Oct 27 11:25:41 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Andy Jack on 2010/10/27 at 15:55 +0100]

>I still have not figured out how to input braille from the Braillenote (the
>guy I'm doing this for has a strong preference for using the Perkins Brailler
>style input rather than a QWERTY keyboard)

It can be done but it's a bit tricky. The reason for this is that the
BrailleNote's braille keyboard keys are used for navigation as well as for
input, and, when used for input, there really aren't any keys for dots 7 and 8.

The BrailleNote starts out in navigation mode. To switch to input mode, press
the space bar and dot 4 together, optionally adding any combination of dots
3,5,6.

Dot 5: If you don't include dot 5 then the switch to input mode is temporary -
only the very next keyboard key combination is input as a character, and then
it's back to navigation mode. If you do include dot 5 then the switch to input
mode is permanent - to get back to navigation mode you need to press the space
bar and dots 1,3,4,5 (the letter n) altogether.

Dot 3: Including dot 3 implicitly adds dot 7 to any character typed.

Dot 6: Including dot 6 implicitly adds dot 8 to any character typed.