[BRLTTY] Absolute basics

Andy Jack cczanj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 16:08:51 EDT 2010

On 27 Oct 2010, at 16:25, Dave Mielke wrote:

> [quoted lines by Andy Jack on 2010/10/27 at 15:55 +0100]
>
>> I still have not figured out how to input braille from the Braillenote (the
>> guy I'm doing this for has a strong preference for using the Perkins Brailler
>> style input rather than a QWERTY keyboard)
>
> It can be done but it's a bit tricky. The reason for this is that the
> BrailleNote's braille keyboard keys are used for navigation as well as for
> input, and, when used for input, there really aren't any keys for dots 7 and 8.
>
> The BrailleNote starts out in navigation mode. To switch to input mode, press
> the space bar and dot 4 together, optionally adding any combination of dots
> 3,5,6.

I tried these key combinations without much success, When I thought I was in input mode no regular Braille letters were recognised as input, the only thing that produced a response on the screen was space+enter for return.
[...]

I think I shall go back to Humanware and see if they have any documentation about the Braille terminal function of the Braillenote. The User Guide is singularly silent on the subject. Of course I don't know that the PK model is exactly the same software as described in the brltty documentation.

Incidentally, there is a combination of function keys on the Asus that switches off the wifi. I must have pressed it by accident when fumbling about with virtual terminals.

Thanks again. I feel I'm making progress.
Andy