[BRLTTY] Absolute basics

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Wed Oct 27 18:31:29 EDT 2010

[quoted lines by Andy Jack on 2010/10/27 at 21:08 +0100]

>I tried these key combinations without much success, When I thought I was in
>input mode no regular Braille letters were recognised as input, the only thing
>that produced a response on the screen was space+enter for return.

If you were doing this in graphical mode, were you running xbrlapi?

I think it may be best to work on understanding the BralleNote's input mode in
a text console first so as to remove any undesirable complexities.

>I think I shall go back to Humanware and see if they have any documentation
>about the Braille terminal function of the Braillenote. The User Guide is
>singularly silent on the subject. Of course I don't know that the PK model is
>exactly the same software as described in the brltty documentation.

Yes, I'm fairly sure it would.

Note that the way brltty supports input from the BrailleNote is brltty's way of
doing it. No Humanware documentation would describe it.

As long as you've started the BrailleNote's Braille Terminal (I think that's
what it's called) application, you've done the right thing. At that point, it's
up to the driver as to how key combinations are interpreted (except, of course,
for special combinations which the BrailleNote intercepts).