[BRLTTY] brltty hangs after startup

Jason White jason at jasonjgw.net
Mon Apr 4 04:12:18 EDT 2011

Sébastien Hinderer <Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org> wrote:
> I have recently upgraded my system and since then, I noticed that brltty
> stops working a bit after it was started.
> Investigating in greater details, I noticed that the process is still
> running but seems blocked in the asyncWait function, it's just polling
> all the time. I'm pretty convinced it never goes out of this, because
> brltty is logging to a file on disk and this file does not grow.

Is there anything interesting in /var/log/syslog or any other relevant log
files? Try running BRLTTY with the "-l debug" option.

If that doesn't help, then it's down to building BRLTTY with debug symbols,
attaching to the process with gdb and obtaining back-traces, unless anyone
else has ideas.
> If I kill brltty and restart it manually everything works fine.
> I thought it could be a daemon that causes brltty to stop working when
> it starts, so I tried stopping and restarting a few of them to see
> whether brltty would hang, but couldn't notice any problem.

I think this is a very unlikely cause; other daemons shouldn't be able to
interfere with BRLTTY.

My system is very up to date and there aren't any hangs of BRLTTY here.