[BRLTTY] brltty hangs after startup

Sébastien Hinderer Sebastien.Hinderer at ens-lyon.org
Thu Apr 7 08:39:47 EDT 2011

Hello,

> The strace you sent shows that no data is being read from the braille
> device.

I think this is because the device was off-line during the strace, sorry
about that.

> The log file you sent shows that there's a recurring "did not receive ACK" from
> the braille device.

Yes I saw this one, too.

> It also shows that you're using a USB to serial adapter.

Correct.

> You didn't say what, exactly, you upgraded.

Well it was a complete distribution upgrade, including move from kernel
2.8.38-1 to 2.6.38-2, well the kernel version remained the same, it's
just the debian patch level that changes...

> While I forget the exact kernel
> releases, is it possible that you're using an FTDI_SIO-type adapter,

It's an adapter from prolific technologies, handled by the module
pl2303.

> that you
> were using a kernel older than around 2.6.31, and that you're now using a
> kernel somewhere between 2.6.31 and 2.6.35 or so?

No, no. One thing I noticed, thoug, is that when the device is on-line,
brltty receives its keypresses, but the braille display does not receive
the braille window updates sent by brltty. It looks as if something
makes the communication between PC and braille device work one-way only.
It is for sure not a hardware issue, since restarting brltty is enough
to get everything back to normal.

Thanks for your help !
Sébastien.